Monday, July 15, 2013

2013 Alder Family Reunion

Everyone has been very excited about this. It has taken a lot of preparation but it was 100% worth it (I definitely had the time of the year!). We decided to do exactly what we did last year,  which is to co-host with mom's brother down in Wheatland. So half of the families would stay at our place, and the other half at Cameron and Amy's (unfortunately, owing to special circumstances, Mom's sister's family, Mark and Heidi Bigelow, were not able to make it. We definitely missed them). The first day, everyone would come here where we would have activities planned, and then the next day we'd all go over to Cameron and Amy's place and enjoy what they had planned. Some people arrived as early as Tuesday, the 2nd. Even more arrived on Wednesday, but Thursday is when it all began.

In the morning we went to the Colfax ward 4th of July breakfast, that was thrown by someone in our ward. They also allowed the kids to go swimming in their pool. After that we went back home and not long later the families arrived that were staying at Cameron and Amy's home. We had lunch and we all had fun hanging out with our cousins. Then around 1:00 we left for the Bear River Campground. We swam, splashed, floated, drowned (not really!), and played catch with a whisle missile!

Jacob and I wanted to organize a float like we did last year and we managed to get a final crew of six, which was perfect because we had exactly six flotation devices: 2 tubes and 4 surfsters; they're a sort of boogie board that you lay on. It has handles on the sides and blows up to about 4 in thick. I definitely prefer them in front of the tubes. So, about 2:30, Brett, Dad, Doug, Emma, Jacob, and I set off down the river. There were some slow spots but the few small rapids that we hit were a lot of fun. One spot has a sort of cascade and is followed by some white water. That was a lot of fun! We also passed a jumping rock called Eagle Rock. It's about 20 feet high, not to bad, and the part that is right above the water is shaped like an eagles beak; hence the name. We all jumped off a couple more times and then continued down the river. Not long afterward we turned a bend and could see the bridge up ahead; the bridge that we would meet Grandpa at. Dinner was delicious, followed by ice cream with more than enough choices of toppings. That night, owing to Makayla's spectacular imitation of Brian Reagan, we watched one of his shows. Brian Reagan is a comedian. Ha Ha Ha, Hee Hee Hee, Ohhhhh . . . that was a good one! Ha Ha, I get it!!

The next morning, after some plentiful rest and a good breakfast, we chilled out for a little, and then around 9:30, we left for Cameron and Amy's place. I call it place because besides the house, they also have land!! Land covered in bike tracks! I don't know what it is, but I find such a thrill when I'm on a motor bike. Something about leaning back and enjoying the ride, where, instead of pedaling, it takes just a little twist of the wrist. Well I guess I shouldn't say "leaning back and enjoying the ride", because half that precious gas was spent on climbing ramps . . .



Thanks Uncle Scott for all these pictures!!


They also have an amazing pool setup. They've got a slide, a diving board, a small Jacuzzi like thing for little kids, and several lawn chairs along one side for the parents to survey the activities in the pool. Here's me trying to surf:


A Penguin dive:


Swan dive:



They also had an incredibly amazing slip n' slide. It went down one of their hills and ended in a little pool of water. It was so much fun!! This is dad going down on his stomach, which was kind of braving it because there are some rocks and sharp things underneath the tarp. He ended up having some cuts on his bum and back, and of course for him, on the chest area. 





Lots of fun!!! Thanks Cameron and Amy for such a blast of a time!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Sam!
I couldn't help but push funny, interesting, and cool for all my reactions to the Family Reunion! :) It looked like a blast and a LOT of fun! The motor bike, the pool, and the slipping slide all looked like a pretty awesome Family Reunion! How's your mom? With the baby and all... I heard that this baby just doesn't seem to want to come! Good luck with you guess and glad you all had such a blast! See ya all at Pioneer Day! :)
-Brit