Thursday, May 23, 2013

Meow!

Last Saturday I was in the garage getting some milk from our "milk" refrigeration where we keep our 16 gallons of milk. As I opened the fridge door, I heard a small squeal . . . and then a "meow". It was coming from the big storage shelves, where our cats like to hang out. The same thought raced through my mind . . . kittens? I shouted something to the kids inside, and then leaped to the first bar on the side of the shelves. I heard another squeal. It seemed like it was coming from the second shelf, about 15 feet up. I scaled the bars up to the shelf and climbed on. Even then, it was hard to tell exactly where the "meow"'s were coming from.

By now all the other kids had gathered around. "In there!" someone shouted. I looked in that direction, between a big cardboard box and a car seat, and could barely make out several dark shapes moving about. For a moment I wasn't sure it they were mice or kittens . . . "Meow!" "Yep, they're kittens". I reached in and pulled out a tiny, grey and white kitten. I had soon handed down 4 kittens, all grey and white and all looking just fine. I cast a quick glance around the storage articles to make sure there were no more kittens. And that's when I saw Smokey in the car seat, above where the kittens had been. I climbed down to the next shelf and then hopped down. We fixed up a soft bed and placed it in a big crate. Soon all the kittens were nursing on Smokey.


This is only three of the kittens. The other one is in the crate with Smokey.


Here are some photo's of Smokey.







And if you'd care to see some photos of our other cat, Midnight. Now that I think about it, I believe I already did a post about our cats.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Smokey, kittens! That is so amazing! You all have your own zoo over there now with puppies, kittens, and lizards & caterpillars! :) I'm so happy that you all could have a great opportunity to raise so many wonderful pets.
Love,
brit

Unknown said...

Thanks Britney!
S.J.